Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

To Resolve or Not to Resolve.


New Year's Resolutions!
How quickly we promise ourselves the impossible!

Not every one can live up to the commitments they resolve to achieve. There are many promises we make ourselves which end in disappointment and feelings of failure.

How many New Year's Journals have I started, with all good intentions, which fizzled out somewhere in February!

This year, I am not going to be unrealistic with my self. I am going to commit to carrying my portable art supplies with me every day, and also toting a sketchbook or three along with them. If the mood strikes me, I commit that I will listen to my muse and take the time there and then to make something in the sketchbooks. But I will not beat my self over the head if I do not. It is an open-ended kind of commitment. I will make the opportunities possible by keeping my tools and materials at hand, but if I do not use them, I will not grieve or feel guilty.

There is a place in the learning experience where a Drawing a Day (do do do look up the website) is essential. And even the act of daily recording thoughts and ideas has its place in the maturing of the creative artist. But to be a slave to it....to allow it to fill me with guilt...that serves no creative purpose.

A new year which is created by an arbitrary cultural calendar can be meaningless except to measure the passing of time.

Let us arise from the tyranny of daily exercises if they tyrannise us.

Listen to your muse instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment